My travel philosophy is simple. Pick the time period , find the cheapest flights (hello Google Flights) to a place that may be kind of sorta cool, book it and figure out the lodging later. You can always find a cheap place to stay, but you cannot always find a cheap flight. When I found a steal-of-a-deal on flights to my absolute dream destination I clicked ‘confirm’ and charged my VISA before my husband could even think twice, insert logic or ask a question…Fiji, we were coming from you.
Ever since I was a kid, Fiji was a dream destination for me. I am a sucker for a colorful horizon, phenomenal sunsets, warm sand & sun and hoping off the beaten pathway, or the road less traveled. Well the trip of a lifetime has already come and gone, those memories tho…boy did it go quick! Let me tell you it did NOT disappoint- here is our Fiji trip in a nutshell. Obviously more time is always desired, but we fit in a lot in nine nights / ten days and were able to get back to the office with only taking seven days off the ole job.
- Flights: We searched around on Google Flights, found our spot and booked it! We landed (pun intended) on going to Fiji via Fiji Airways. LAX – NAD was only $815pp and we used an insignificant amount of air miles to fly for FREE on Alaska Air to get to LAX from SLC (RT of course). $1,630 for two adults to fly to Fiji? We were looking at other destinations for $1,200pp so this find was a no brainier.
- Where to stay? Well this trip was celebrating our ten year wedding anniversary so a mix of luxury and adventure was required:
- We opted to spend four nights relaxing for the first bit of the trip and the Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay was the absolutely PERFECT place to do this.
- After spoiling ourselves, it was time to explore so the Yasawa Islands were the natural choice. We spent nights 5-6 at Mantaray Island Resort and nights 7-8 at Barefoot Kuata (this spot was the highlight of the ENTIRE trip, but more to come on that).
- To unwind from the unwinding, we spent the last night in the lap of luxury. We redeemed some Marriott points for Starwood points and stayed at the Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa, Fiji. It was INCREDIBLE.
So I am a procrastinator so I don’t know how we got so lucky with EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Of our hotels / huts / bures, etc. We literally LOVED every place we stayed for completely different reasons. Check out my posts in the coming weeks where I will share my reviews on the resorts as well as my thoughts on the activities we did, or could have done. Enjoy my recollection of Fiji, I hope it inspires you to take the plunge yourself and experience this MAGICAL place. Can’t wait for my reviews to see the beauty? Check out my Fiji photos on Flickr. Bula!!